57 Sauce Stuffed Peppers
- 3 tbsp. long grain white rice
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 green peppers
- 1 cup Heinz 57® Sauce
- 1-1/2 cup Classico® Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine rice and 5 tablespoons of water. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In the meantime, in a large skillet over medium high heat, sauté onions in butter for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Place onions in mixing bowl with rice. Add ground beef and egg to mixing bowl, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Cut tops off green peppers and rinse well, removing seeds and ribs. Fill peppers with meat and rice mixture.
- In a 5 or 6 quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, mix together 57 Sauce and pasta sauce, and bring to a simmer. Place peppers into sauce mixture, standing upright. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until peppers are tender and filling is cooked through.
- Serves: 6
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour & 15 minutes
TIP: Look for pepper shapes that will easily stand upright.
VARIATION: Use mixed colors of bell peppers for a more colorful presentation.